Robidoux Pass was a significant landmark on the Oregon Trail. In 1848, an Indian trader named Robidoux established a trading post near this natural landmark on the old Oregon Trail. In 1850, a shorter route was opened through Mitchell Pass, just south of the monument itself and much closer to the Platte River and eliminated the eight-mile swing south. This route fell into disuse after the opening of Mitchell Pass in 1851 and the buildings disappeared. The Robidoux Trading Post has been reconstructed based on archeological evidence, as well as frequent accounts about it in traveler's diaries. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961.
A local road, Robidoux Road, now passes through the gap. Robidoux Pass is located south of Scotts Bluff National Monument off Nebraska Highway 71 south of Gering and 8 miles west on Robidoux Road.
Information about Robidoux Pass can be found at the Scotts Bluff National Monument.